If you record field audio, sound effects, podcasts, voice-overs, music, audio for film, or are just starting your audio journey, the MixPre-3 II is for you! With three crystal-clear, ultra low-noise Kashmir preamps, you can record multiple actors, multiple podcasters, or audio for small productions with superior quality – all the way up to a 32-bit float bit depth and a 192 kHz sample rate. This newest generation of Sound Devices’ award-winning MixPre Series has been redesigned for increased performance and an astounding 142 dB of dynamic range.
The MixPre-3 II is highly customizable to your needs. Record internally to a compatible SD card on set or stream your podcast over USB to your computer at home. Power with your computer, wall power, or record in the middle of nowhere with AA or Sony L-mount batteries. Adjust limiters, bit depth, sample rates, gain, pan, low-cut, phase inversion and phantom power to your liking. Trigger your camera with the internal timecode generator, or feed timecode in via HDMI or Aux In. The choice is yours!
Professionals love the flexibility of the MixPre Series. Don’t need all those options? Basic mode has you covered.
The Sound Devices MixPre-3 II is rugged, lightweight, and small, so you can throw it in a bag or mount it to a tripod or camera – or get situated on set with the Wingman App and one of the four supported USB control surfaces. With the superior sound and build quality that you can expect from this industry leader in production audio recording, your MixPre-3 II can capture audio for any application.
- Three ultra-low-noise Kashmir microphone preamps with adjustable limiters capture high quality audio in the field, on set, or with a computer.
- Create a mix using the built-in 3 x 2 portable mixer.
- Record up to 5 tracks to an SD card and backup to a USB thumb drive.
- 5-in, 2-out USB audio interface streams to your computer via USB-C at bit depths up to 32-bit float.
- Choose bit depths from 16 to 32-bit float, and sampling rates from 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz.
- Internal LTC timecode generator. Timecode In/Out via Aux In/Stereo Out.
- Timecode and record triggering via HDMI.
- USB-A for control surfaces, keyboards, and auto-copy to USB drive.
- In-unit ISO mixing, gain, pan, low-cut, phase inversion, and phantom power.
- Sunlight-readable color touch screen and LED metering.
- Lightweight, durable, and small: perfect for bag use, mobile recording, or a home studio.
- Powerful 300 mW+300 mW headphone amp allows clear and accurate reference of audio.
- Includes a MX-4AA Battery Sled (batteries not included), MX-PSU AC Power Supply, and USB-C to USB-C cable.
- Weight: 1,2 kilos
- Size: 36 x 144 x 110 mm
- 10 Hz to 80 kHz +/- 0.5 dB re 1 kHz @ 192 kHz sample rate
THD + Noise
- 0.005% max (@1 kHz, 22-22 kHz BW, gain= 20 dB, -10 dBu in)
- 32 bit precision; 142 dB dynamic range min (A weighted, gain = 10 dB, fader = 0 dB)
Equivalent Input Noise
- -130 dBV (-128 dBu) max (A-weighting, gain = 76 dB, 150 ohm source impedance)
- Mic: XLR active-balanced; 4k input
- Line: XLR active-balanced; 4k input
- Aux/Mic in: 3.5 mm TRS, 2-channel unbalanced; 2.2k
- USB Audio: 2 channels
- 5 Total analog inputs: 3 mic-line inputs, 2 on Aux In
- All inputs fully RF-filtered and overload protected.
- Mic input: +6 dB to +76 dB
- Line input: -20 dB to +30 dB
- Fader: -inf to +20 dB
- Headphone: -inf to +20 dB
- Total, Mic-to-recording (max): +96 dB
- Aux In (Mic): Gain = +10 dB to +40 dB
- Aux In (Line): Gain = -10 dB to +20 dB
- Total Aux Gain including Fader (Mic-to-recording): +60 dB
Maximum Input Level
- Mic XLR: +14 dBu (limiters on or off)
- Line XLR/¼-inch: +28 dBu (limiters on or off)
- Aux In (Mic): -10 dBu
- Aux In (Line): +10 dBu
Low Cut Filters
- 40 Hz to 160 Hz (adjustable), 18 dB/oct. First stage analog, subsequent stages digital.
- Mic XLRs: 48 V via 6.8k resistors, 10 mA each
- Mic 3.5 mm: 3 V @ 3k source
- Limiter at all gain stages, range > 40 dB. First stage analog, subsequent stages digital. Adjustable Threshold, Ratio, and Release.
- DAC feeding Stereo Out, Headphone Out
- 32 bit precision; 115 dB dynamic range (A-weighted)
- L/R Out
- 3.5 mm TRS stereo unbalanced, 500 ohm output impedance, +7.8 dBu max output level
- 3.5 mm TRS stereo unbalanced, 300 mW + 300 mW, for use with any impedance headphones
Maximum Record Tracks
- 5 Tracks Stereo mix + 3 ISO’s
- 44.1 kHz
- 47.952 kHz
- 48 kHz
- 48.048 kHz
- 96 kHz
- 192 kHz
- Type: SD, SDXC, SDHC Card, & USB thumbdrive (copy only)
- Max Storage Size: 512 GB (SDXC)
- Card format: exFAT
- AA Batteries: 4x AA sled (included). NiMH recommended
- From computer: Bus-powered via USB-C port
- AC Adapter: MX-PSU (included) Power supply wall adapter w/ USB-C connector; 15 W; has 4 adapter plugs for US, UK, AU & Europe