|Authors||F Xavier Malcata, Sousa Pinto Isabel & Ana Catarina Afonso Guedes|
|Size||253 x 179 x 17 (mm)|
|Images||25 colour & 22 b/w photos and illustrations|
|Year published ||Mar 2021|
The marine environment accounts for most of the biodiversity on our planet, while offering a huge potential for the benefit and wellbeing of mankind. Its extensive resources already constitute the basis of many economic activities – but many more are expected in coming years.
Marine Macro- and Microalgae - An Overview covers current knowledge on uses of marine algae to obtain bulk and fine chemicals, coupled with optimization of the underlying production and purification processes. Major gaps and potential opportunities in this field are discussed in a critical manner.
The currrent trends pertaining to marine macro- and microalgae are explained in a simple and understandable writing style. This book covers a wide variety of topics, and as such it will be appropriate as both student text and reference for advances researchers in the field.
- Introduction to Marine Algae: Overview / Ana Isabel Neto and Isabel Sousa Pinto
- Importance of Seaweed in the Climate Change—Seaweed Solution / Ik Kyo Chung, Jung Hyun Oak, Jin Ae Lee, Tae-Ho Seo, Jong Gyu Kim and Kwang-Seok Park
- Microalgal Metabolism and their Utilisation / Michael A. Borowitzka
- Microalgal Biomass Production / Rathinam Raja, Hemaiswarya Shanmugam, Ramanujam Ravikumar, and Isabel S. Carvalho
- Advances and Constraints of Seaweed Farming as a Basal Constituent for an Environmentally Sustainable Development of Aquaculture in Chile / Alejandro H. Buschmann, María C. Hernández-González, and Bárbara S. Labbé
- Microalgal Downstream Processing: Harvesting, Drying, Extraction, Separation, and Purification / Xavier C. Fretté
- Marine Algae Bioactivities / Catarina Vizetto-Duarte Carolina Bruno de Sousa, Maria Rodrigues, Luísa Custódio, Luísa Barreira and João Varela
- Macroalgal phycocolloids / Leonel Pereira
- Microalgae for Feed / Vítor Verdelho, João Navalho, and Ana P. Carvalho
- Potential Use of Extracts of Seaweed Against Plant Pathogens / Jattinder Singh Sangha, Robin E. Ross, Sowmyalakshmi Subramanian, Alan T. Critchley and Balakrishnan Prithiviraj
- The Cosmeceutical Properties of Compounds Derived from Marine Algae / Snezana Agatonovic-Kustrin and David W. Morton
- Dinoflagellates and Toxin Production / Joana Assunção and F. Xavier Malcata
- Integrated Multitrophic Aquaculture: An Overview / Isabel C. Azevedo, Tania R. Pereira, Sara Barrento and Isabel Sousa Pinto
- Alternative Green Biofuel from Microalgae: A Promising Renewable Resource / Katkam N. Gangadhar, João Varela and F. Xavier Malcata
- Genetic Engineering Approaches for the Exploitation of Marine Algae as Potential Sources of Organic and Inorganic Biofuels / Maria da Glória Esquível, Julia Marín-Navarro, Teresa S. Pinto, and Joaquín Moreno
- Present and Future Economic and Environmental Impacts of Microalgal Technology / Miguel Olaizola, Rob C. Brown, and Elizabeth D. Orchard